Student Learning Record Workbook (for use by students)
- Student Learning Record Answers (for use by teachers)
- End of Topic test and answers
- Lesson PowerPoint’s for every lesson
- Any associated answers or references sheets for class activities
This topic covers:
3.5 Fundamentals of computer networks
- Define what a computer network is.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of computer networks.
- Describe the main types of computer network including:
Personal Area Network (PAN)
Local Area Network (LAN)
Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Understand that networks can be wired or wireless.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of wireless networks as opposed to wired networks.
- Describe the following common LAN topologies:
- Define the term network protocol.
- Explain the purpose and use of common network protocols including:
TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
IP (Internet Protocol)
HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)
FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
- email protocols:
SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol)
- Understand the need for, and importance of, network security.
- Explain the following methods of network security:
MAC address filtering
- Describe the 4 layer TCP/IP model:
Understand that the HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, IMAP and FTP protocols operate at the application layer.
Understand that the TCP and UDP protocols operate at the transport layer.
Understand that the IP protocol operates at the internet layer.